Monday, June 6, 2011

3 Sources for education in my content area for GNA

So I found a couple of sites for use in my science classes coming up this fall.  I am teavhing in 3 seventh grade science classes where we will be going over the scientific method and its surrounding information.  I will also be teaching 2 eighth grade classes on states of matter.  I found educational artifacts for all of these things.  (http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/atoms/states.html)  The first link is from purdue chemistry.  The site appeals to a wide variety of learners.  Those who learn better from visual demonstrations will like the simple moving graphics that define the motion of molecules in different states of matter.  Good educators need to tap into these visual resources in order to hook young minds that are always wandering.  Videos are a good way to hook those minds in.  My second resource (http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/experiments/movingmolecules.html) is a  site full of great information for science educators of younger children.  I think that this information will be really good for my middle school classes.  Some of the projects on the site could be for a younger audience but I can use a great deal of these sample lessons in my classroom.  This particular experiment is good because it only involves water and food coloring.  Both of these are readily available and inexpensive.  It will also be good for students who learn by doing or seeing the lesson happen right in front of their eyes.  Finally I found this site: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytX-0nxZUCk&feature=fvwrel)
This is a YouTube video about the scientific method.  I believe this to be a good video for several reasons.  For starters the video is color-full, humorous, and fun.  This can help to break up the monotony over the day.  It is also informative with relaxing music in the background.  That means that those who learn better by music have an advantage.  The real sign of a good teacher is one who will use all of the tools available to enhance the learning of everyone in the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment